At Willesborough Junior School, we deliver a Creative Curriculum.
A Creative Curriculum focuses on problem solving, discussion, collaboration and imaginative thinking that leads to the following ‘creative behaviours’:
- Questioning and challenging
- Envisaging what might be
- Exploring ideas, keeping options open
- Reflecting critically on ideas, actions and outcomes
- Making connections and seeing relationships
We adopt a holistic approach to our teaching through topics and our Creative Curriculum content is taken from the National Curriculum. However, we passionately believe that the curriculum has a broader use. We aim, through our curriculum, to enhance the children’s experiences and widen their understanding of the larger world.
The positive learning culture and caring atmosphere at Willesborough allows all of the children to challenge themselves in a safe and nurturing environment.
By embracing a whole school approach to teaching and learning, we aim to:
- Deliver consistency of teaching and learning across our school.
- Enable teachers to teach as effectively as possible.
- Enable children to learn as efficiently as possible.
- Give children the skills they require to become effective lifelong learners.
- Provide an inclusive education for all children.
- Learn from each other, through the adoption of a collaborative, enquiry-based approach to teaching and learning, where good practice is shared.
We are a reading school and aim to instil a love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. We believe that it is every child’s right to learn to read and we hope that many children go beyond this and develop a love and passion for reading. Staff act as reading role-models and children have access to a wide range of quality texts in our amazing school library.
At Willesborough Junior School, we follow the Accelerated Reader scheme. This means that the children have the opportunity to choose from a wide range of books matched to their ability. Children are then able to complete an online quiz that assesses how well they have understood what they have read. As a school, we celebrate the children that have achieved 100% in their quizzes – medals and books are up for grabs!
Our daily teaching of reading focuses on the two dimensions of:
- word reading (decoding)
- comprehension (both listening and reading)
Teachers develop comprehension skills in every Reading lesson. With the children, we refer to these skills as the Reading VIPERS. Reading is an integral part of our curriculum and children engage with quality texts every day.
For more information about the Reading VIPERS and for some ideas on how to use them to support your child at home, please click the link below.
We foster a love of writing and build on from the strong foundations laid at the infant school. We believe that development in writing follows naturally from the enjoyment and inspiration provided by high quality texts as well as the systematic teaching of handwriting, spelling and grammar. Children are taught to write in shared, guided and independent contexts in daily English lessons. Opportunities for children to apply their writing skills across the curriculum are well planned for.
Throughout the school year, we encourage our whole school community to get involved in a range of events to celebrate our love of English, with an intention of creating lifelong learners of reading and writing.
Just a few of these opportunities include:
- Entering local or national writing competitions
- Book week
- World Book Day
- Visiting book fairs
- Reading Together opportunities
- Assemblies led by the English team
- Visiting authors
- Reading buddies
- Parent and child story writing sessions
We build on the strong foundations laid by the infant school and encourage the children to write in a neat, joined, cursive script. In the early stages, they use the supported cursive document as a reference. We refer to the green dots and arrows to support the children in correctly forming the letters. Please support your children with this at home.
At Willesborough Junior School, we make mathematics fun, interactive and practical.
Our aim is that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that they develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems with increasing sophistication, including in unfamiliar contexts and to model real-life scenarios.
- Can reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry and develop and present a justification, argument or proof using mathematical language.
Click the links below to find out more about our Maths Programme of study.